The Mission Inn was originally constructed in the period from 1876 through 1931 and is a National Historic Landmark. The hotel was then renovated in the late 1980’s. The twenty million-dollar renovation included restoring the exterior facades and completely renovating the 235 guestrooms, 30 suites, and exterior courtyards and gardens.
The Court of the Birds was completely reconstructed. The design concept was to provide an urban oasis of rich plant materials and private outdoor areas entirely secluded from the adjacent downtown setting. The design divided the court into distinctive use areas for swimming and sunning, drop off, outdoor dining, and guest circulation. Existing palm trees were relocated and abundant new tropical vegetation and water features added in order to create the desired oasis character.
Improvements in the other courtyards included cleaning existing statuary, replanting existing planters, and adding potted material to add color and drama to each of the spaces.
Location: Riverside, California
Role: Landscape Architect
Owner: The Carley Group
Date of Completion: 1993