• overview drawing of St Jude Medical Center
  • sign surrounded by landscaping that reads "St Jude Medical Center"
  • Side of building wall covered in glass windows with a sign
  • side view of building entrance with palm trees out front
  • trees lined up beside a wall
  • landscaping outside of building with windows, overlooking adjacent road
  • stone segments of tile-walls outside of commercial building
  • overview of hospital's side yard, with concrete steps cutting through landscaping
  • street side view of hospital sidewalk with red flowers and young trees
  • parking lot below hospital building with cloudy skies above
  • front entrance of st jude hospital, car port overhanging concrete sidewalk and driveway
  • orange and pink building behind parked cars and young trees with landscaping
  • view of garden outside St Jude hospital with a stone wall and a copper statue of a priest talking to a bird

St. Jude Medical Center is a comprehensive, 384-bed Catholic hospital located in the Sunny Hills area of Fullerton, California. Founded in 1957 by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange, St. Jude is a member of the non-profit St. Joseph Health System and serves patients who come from areas throughout north Orange County.

St. Jude’s current facility was constructed in 1957 and needed significant structural retrofits. A $125 million dollar new wing to the hospital was completed in the fall of 2008. This new wing called, the Southwest Patient Tower, included Emergency, Cardiac and Vascular Catheterization, Critical Care, and Maternity services. This expansion is the second part of a four-phase redevelopment of the entire St. Jude complex, which began in 2003 with the construction of a new wing across Harbor Boulevard (connected by a footbridge) housing the Crosson Cancer Center.

R/Hdo has supported St. Jude over that 10-year period, working with five different architectural teams on a range of projects.

These included a ten-year Campus Master Plan, two Medical Office Buildings with a shared parking structure, and a widening of Harbor Boulevard. Additional projects included upgrading an adjacent City-owned tennis facility as mitigation for expansion, working with the US Army Corps of Engineers on mitigation of wetland areas, and designing a regional bicycle trail that passes through hospital property. Outdoor spaces and roof gardens associated with the Northwest Tower were also part of the project plan during the 10-year period.

In designing each of these improvements, R/Hdo has supported the administration’s goal of creating a unique, people-friendly campus. This is evidenced by the clear circulation and parking systems, the attractive and useable outdoor spaces, and the high quality of the visual environment.

Location: Fullerton, California

Role: Landscape Architect

Architect: KMD/HDR, Taylor

Owner: St. Jude Medical Center

Budget: Phase I ($600,000), (Phase II $500,000)

Date of Completion: 2008